Thursday, July 13, 2017

Creation vs The Big Bang: Religion VS Science (Part 1)

For good historical reasons science and religion have clashed and struggled for “dominance.” While science continues to construct and test theories of various kinds and religions continue to develop dogma that must be accepted, there will always be conflicts between some of the two. The real surprise for me is that often they can both be “right” because they are talking about two different determinations of “truth.”

What I learned in school was that truth is “that which corresponds to reality.” Two words here require some understanding: “ corresponds” and “reality.” The basic idea is to get to an understanding of what one means when two suggested “truths” correspond. Is it just when they agree completely and are identical? Can one be in terms of physical observation and the other the result of philosophical reasoning? Can one just be believed because of a majority of human common sense and experience and the other from isolated revelations? Does one believe in causative factors which are not fully understood and the other relies on innate belief?

Had enough trouble? Let’s look at “reality.” Is that the object of identical physiological reactions in a majority of people. C an they be measured with instruments that scan the electrical and chemical processes of human brains and nervous systems? Or is reality an approximate agreement, expressed with sounds and physical markings that we call “language” that seem to indicate two or more humans are having approximately the same “physical experience?” Or is an approximate emotional experience, also identified through language or perhaps based on the reaction of a number of people from exposure to the “reality?” Or is “reality” an interpretation (and perhaps unique to each individual) to sensory inputs to each person?

My answer: I don’t know.

Over the years, however, I have been struggling to understand, for myself, what this whole concept could mean. I can’t say with certainty (another slippery concept) that what I currently believe is IT, or if it will still be at the point where I die and cease to wonder ….. maybe!  But here I go.

Sometimes, I think, two things that appear to be in conflict don’t have to be, and perhaps are not. I’ll look at just one example. Christians, for the most part believe that Jesus was born of a virgin. [A huge aside: I believe this came to be stated as such through a mistranslation of a word in one of the Hebrew scriptures during the course of copying and translating the Hebrew writings to Aramaic and/or Greek by scribe after scribe into what would become a Christian Gospel . I also think the passage used was not prophetic in any way, but was a statement of a completed event, namely, the birth of a child from a young woman who had not had any children previously. Don’t quote me that mistranslation as “proof.”]

Science would tell us that a virgin cannot give birth. Birth requires development of a human being, or any animal that requires contribution of egg and sperm, from two different animals. How about religion? Christians will tell you that since God is the creator, and created the universe as a result of will, God can do anything in the universe, including causing an egg of an animal to be “impregnated” with a created sperm and become a decendent of that animal. In this case, a human son of a woman. And why not? With a basic belief that there was a creator of everything we can perceive or reason to, we can accept (and could even be right) that a woman can become pregnant with a “holy” operative development of a person. Here I use the term “holy” in its full sense of something that is separate from the non-holy; in this case it would be the spiritual from the physical.

This isn’t a completely unheard of idea. Many pagan religions tell stories of persons who were part human and part god-like through a human/god sexual joining; the Greeks and Romans accepted this as a legitimate concept and the stories become part of their scriptures, which we call “myth.”
So here science and religion co-exist as both being “true.” One is based strictly on human experience and the other is basic on faith and a logical requirement to other events and relationships that are known or also believed. My point here is that both can co-exist and be “true” in their own conceptual framework.

I remember my stumbling around in my own mind trying to understand my teacher telling me that one can say “two things plus two things are four things … unless you are talking about vectors.” Which, in that case of course, can be anything from minus four to plus four.
I will follow this ranting with the creation event of the Big Bang in the frameworks of science and religion with my own wrinkle that makes them compatible in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment