Thursday, June 13, 2019

TV Flim Flam Revisited

Well, he have a nice patio out back with chairs for the adults and a sandbox for the kids. Nice, but gets hot or annoying when it rains. The sun is in your eyes if it's late in the day because it faces west. Looks like time to think about an awning!
Sun Setter starts advertising in the Spring to sell them for your Summer use. Good thinking. But their flim flam gives me the willies. (That's a retro comment.) Here's what they say.
First they show a bouncy, friendly couple who decided they need an awning. We are told they got theirs for "less than $700 dollars." Then we are told we can get one for as little as $599 dollars. Then we are told we can get a certificate (for a limited time only, so get with it) for $200 off. Here's my analysis.
Less than $700 is probably $699. That's the most it could be to fit the claim.
$599 as a price is the starting point the "bare bones" system. No size is given and no installation cost is mentioned, and the only add on I remember was a motor to open and close the awning rather than using a hand crank, which they show an older female using. See, it's easy to open and close.
Then there's that $200 discount coupon. If they used it when they paid under $700 dollars it would mean that their cost was as much as $899. Almost $900.
If you want a motorized system, at some size that fits your area, and have somebody else install it, it's all add on to $900 (less discount which is for a limited time only, perhaps for a year!). This could start reaching into the "over a $1000" range! There was a little mention that it is "assembled in the USA." Great. I'll guess it was made somewhere else: China? Peru? Mexico? India? Who knows?
My next step would be to seek out an internet site for Sun Setter and find out more details, but frankly, after watching the TV ad I just give up.
No awning this year! I rate this ad as poor, but I guess it will excite some folks to call up for their certificate and get on the contact list for interested buyers. They'll probably regret that. I know I would.
I still enjoy my patio, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment